Sometimes you get e-mails that make you smile, then you delete them. There are others that you delete without smiling. Every once in a while, you get one that requires action.
My husband sent an e-mail to me that made me stop everything and follow the link. It led me to the Family Watchdog website. This site charts where known sex offenders are living in relationship to your home.
After reviewing the information, I did a little snooping of my own. Unfortunately, the studies that I found on the Bureau of Justice Statistics site were a little dated (July, 2000), but I’m sure you’ll see the importance of being aware of the statistics below:
Did you Know…
- 40% of pedophiles who victimized children under the age of 6 were juveniles under 18) 1
- Approximately 4,300 child molesters were released from prison in 15 states in 1994. An estimated 3.3% of them were rearrested for another sex crime against a child within 3 years of release from prison. 1
- 67% all victims of sexual assault reported to law enforcement agencies were under 18 (34% of those under 12) 2
- One in very 7 victims were under 6 3
- Young victims are more likely to be victimized in a home: 77% of sexual assaults on juveniles occurred in a residence as compared to 55% for adults victims.
- Older juveniles were more likely to be victimized in a location other than a residence, while only 16% of sexual assaults for children below 12 occurred in a place other than a residence. The most common non-resident locations for assaults on juveniles were roadways, field/woods, schools, and hotels/motels.
Time of day:
- Attacks most often occurred for very young victims, children under 6, around the 3 pm hour. However, it appears that attacks are gradually occurring earlier. The next most likely times of assault are the hours of 8 am, noon and 6 pm (usually meal times). This is when the assaults of very young children are the highest.
Family, Acquaintance or Stranger:
- Nearly all offenders 96% were male. Female pedophiles more commonly were involved with assaults against children under the age of 6.
- About 27% of all offenders were related to the victims. (More common in offenders of young victims under 6)
- Most pedophiles were not family members, but knew the victim. 60% of all sexual assault offenders were classified as acquaintances of the victim.
- Only 14% of offenders were strangers.
- The youngest victims were least likely to be assaulted by a stranger.
- Adolescent victims were 5 times more likely to be assaulted by adult family members when committed in a residence than if it were committed elsewhere.
- According to FBI’s National Incident-Based Reporting System (NIBRS) arrests were made in 29% of all sexual assault victimizations
- For children under 6 only 19% of the offenders are arrested, where as 33% in 6-11 and 32% in ages 12 – 17 (This is sad. More offenders get away than are arrested)
I would suggest that you visit the sites listed below. There is a ton of information (if you can stomach it). Bottom line, be aware and trust your instincts. We’ve got to do all we can to protect our children. Know if there is a pedophile in your neighborhood.
- 1 Criminal Offenders Statistics, http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/crimoff.htm#sex, internet, accessed 4-11-06
- 2 Sexual Assault of Young Children as Reported to Law Enforcement: Victim, Incident and offender Characteristics, http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/abstract/saycrle.htm Internet, accessed 4-11-06
- 3 Sexual Abuse Statistics. http://www.prevent-abuse-now.com/stats.htm#Disclosures, Internet, accessed 4-11-06