Yes, that’s right. If you want to score brownie points with the fast food junkie in your life, you’ve got to learn to make the best homemade French fries in the world.
Why Homemade French Fries
Being the mother of a French fry-a-holic, it caused much concern about the ingredients included in frozen and fast food French fries. Sitting down at a restaurant ordering a meal that contained French fries didn’t do much to make a concerned mother feel better. After all, what did they put in the French fries? What type of salt? How much salt? How old was the oil the fries were fried in? What about those dreaded trans fats?
Can’t Beat ‘em Outsmart ‘em
After watching my child eat batch after batch of French fries, I decided that enough was enough. I didn’t ban her from eating French fries, but what I did do was decided to make the best homemade French fries in the world (at least in her eyes). I thought that if I could make homemade French fries that tasted better than any other fries she had ever tasted, then at least I’d know what she was was eating.
Homemade French Fries Success
I’m pleased to say that it worked. Not only does she find that my fries are the best homemade French fries in the world, her friends do to. So, for other parents out there with French fry-a-holics, here’s the recipe for the best French fries in the world.
- Organic red potatoes (if you can’t find organic non-organic will do).
- Sea Salt
- Cooking Oil
The French Fry Cooking Process (it’s real simple)
- Peal and rinse the potatoes
- Cut them into French fries. You can make them as thick or thin as you like. If you have a slicing device or chopping device that slices them into fries quickly, even better.
- Place one layer of the potatoes on a microwavable plate and nuke them until they’re just about soft in the middle. I have tried this with and without microwaving. Microwaving makes them taste better. Cooking the potatoes in the microwave releases the sugars in the potatoes.
- Heat a skillet and line the bottom with oil. Make sure the oil is hot before you add the French fries. This portion of the recipe is only to give fries the golden brown look, and a little crispy crunch, because they’re pretty much cooked from using the microwave. (Substitution: you can place them in the oven if you don’t want to use oil. My fry-a-holic isn’t that evolved as yet…one step at a time)
- Place the golden brown fries on a paper towel to allow the excess oil to drain.
- Salt the French fries to taste using the sea salt.
- Viola! You’re done.
Once your child has tasted your homemade French fries, she’ll be hard pressed to request a trip to the local fast food chain.
Next, I’ll share my recipe for the best homemade (and healthy) chicken nuggets in the world.